All the lonely people

Anthony Bailey reports on the financial isolation faced by the growing army of self-employed and contract workers All the lonely people

DOWNSIZED, rationalised, flexible working, going freelance, between jobs. Call it what you will, but today's changing employment patterns mean potential financial problems, and not just the obvious one.

Take mortgages, most people's biggest financial commitment.Lenders have fought for market share in the past year or so, with some astonishing "loss leader" deals available. It should be a buyer's market, but Britain's growing army of self-employed and short-term contract workers could find they get the cold shoulder when applying for a new loan. There may be nothing they can do about this if self-employment or contract work has been forced on them through redundancy. The lesson to learn is that anyone planning to give up full-time employment should include their mortgage arrangements in their plans.

If you hope to move home or to switch your loan to one of the many competitive remortgage deals on offer, your priority should be to act before you leave full-time employment, so you can get a loan based on your current income. Otherwise, you may have problems. Someone who has been self- employed for less than three years and who wants to borrow 95 per cent of the value of a property will find it very hard to get a loan.

"It's not just the lender who should be taking a step back and looking at that sort of loan," says Ian Darby of mortgage broker John Charcol. "It's also the borrower. If you've been self-employed for only 12 months, you may not know whether the income will be there in another 12 months. Should you be entering into a financial arrangement based on that lack of knowledge?"

Lenders can be flexible if you borrow no more than 75 per cent of the value of your property. One option is to go for a "non-status" mortgage. The lender accepts your stated income without requiring proof, but you may be charged an extra 1 per cent for a non-status loan.

To avoid this premium, you may be able to hunt down a lender which is prepared to consider you with proof of income even though you have fewer than three years' accounts.

However, such lenders can be hard to find for those wanting a loan of more than 75 per cent. Proof of income becomes harder to avoid and there can be an extra hurdle, even if you have accounts for three years.

"A lot of building society managers don't understand accounts," says Patrick Bunton of broker London & Country Mortgages. "They might stick to a formula that allows you to borrow no more than three times your net profits. But people can deduct certain expenses to arrive at their net profits, such as depreciation on cars or employing a wife. We argue that lenders should add these things back into the profits."

When looking at your three-year record, some lenders will base a loan on the average of three years' income, but others are prepared to take account of just the past 12 months if there is a clear upward trend.

It's not only the self-employed who may have difficulty getting a mortgage. Contract workers normally need to show that they have an uninterrupted history of work in the same sort of job (not necessarily with the same employer) for two years.

"If, for example, you are with the BBC, where many people work on contract, and you have a couple of contracts renewed, then you can be treated as being permanent," says Mr Darby. "But where people have had breaks between contracts, they are more likely to be treated as self-employed."

Another mortgage pitfall awaits some self-employed people. If you conduct business on the premises and clients visit your home, a lot of lenders will turn you down on the grounds that they will be taking a commercial rather than just a residential risk. Others might add an interest rate premium.

It is not only mortgages that require careful consideration. Other important areas include the following:

o Mortgage repayment protection policies, which are probably a waste of money. "The sickness, accident and redundancy cover which building societies try to sell are not worth the paper they are written on for most self-employed people," says Mr Bunton. These policies pay your mortgage if you lose your job, but a self-employed person would usually have to be made bankrupt before the company paid out.

o Loan protection insurance, which covers the monthly payments on a personal or other loan. It has similar drawbacks to those with mortgage repayment

protection policies. With credit cards, this sort of insurance isbought by doing little more than ticking a box on the credit card application form. But if you find a claim turned down because the insurance is not valid, the premiums you have paid won't be returned.

o Permanent health insurance, which pays an income if you can't work through illness or disability. This is often more important for self-employed people than those who work for employers with generous sick pay schemes. You should get advice on the most suitable policy, to make sure it will pay out when you really need it.

o Private medical insurance. This is something even those who dislike the concept of private medicine should consider. Take, for example, a freelance photographer who can't do his job because of a hernia. A long wait for treatment on the NHS could devastate his finances. Private treatment may be the lesser evil.

o Pensions. Pension planning is more important for the self-employed and contract workers than for those who have access to a company scheme. However, it is easy to sign up for the wrong contract. Go for a single premium rather than a regular premium plan, which could carry penalties if you fail to keep up payments.

o State benefits, which are more restricted for the self-employed. One big benefit they lose is the state earnings-related pension (Serps). Self-employed National Insurance contributors earn the basic state pension, but they aren't entitled to unemployment benefit, incapacity benefit or maternity allowance.

o Household insurance. Most policies won't cover your computer, fax and other office equipment, but if a burglar takes your television and video, you may find the policy has been invalidated because you work at home. It is vital that you tell your insurer you are working from home. Home Run magazine, aimed exclusively at home workers, includes advice on getting insured in its fact sheets. Ring 01291 641313 for details.

o Next week, we begin a series of articles giving financial advice for the self-employed and others not in traditional full-time employment. This will include the new system of tax self-assessment, which gets under way on 6 April, the new tax year.

Start your day with The Independent, sign up for daily news emails
ebooksAn introduction to the ground rules of British democracy
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs Money & Business

Recruitment Genius: Mortgage Administrator

£20000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are a vibrant and establishe...

Recruitment Genius: Payments Advisor

£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An experienced Repayments Advis...

Recruitment Genius: Investment Analyst

£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of financ...

SThree: Trainee Recruitment Consultant

£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: Are you looking to take your ...

Day In a Page

Migrant crisis: UN official Philippe Douste-Blazy reveals the harrowing sights he encountered among refugees arriving on Lampedusa

‘Can we really just turn away?’

Dead bodies, men drowning, women miscarrying – a senior UN figure on the horrors he has witnessed among migrants arriving on Lampedusa, and urges politicians not to underestimate our caring nature
Nine of Syria and Iraq's 10 world heritage sites are in danger as Isis ravages centuries of history

Nine of Syria and Iraq's 10 world heritage sites are in danger...

... and not just because of Isis vandalism
Girl on a Plane: An exclusive extract of the novelisation inspired by the 1970 Palestinian fighters hijack

Girl on a Plane

An exclusive extract of the novelisation inspired by the 1970 Palestinian fighters hijack
Why Frederick Forsyth's spying days could spell disaster for today's journalists

Why Frederick Forsyth's spying days could spell disaster for today's journalists

The author of 'The Day of the Jackal' has revealed he spied for MI6 while a foreign correspondent
Markus Persson: If being that rich is so bad, why not just give it all away?

That's a bit rich

The billionaire inventor of computer game Minecraft says he is bored, lonely and isolated by his vast wealth. If it’s that bad, says Simon Kelner, why not just give it all away?
Euro 2016: Chris Coleman on course to end half a century of hurt for Wales

Coleman on course to end half a century of hurt for Wales

Wales last qualified for major tournament in 1958 but after several near misses the current crop can book place at Euro 2016 and end all the indifference
Rugby World Cup 2015: The tournament's forgotten XV

Forgotten XV of the rugby World Cup

Now the squads are out, Chris Hewett picks a side of stars who missed the cut
A groundbreaking study of 'Britain's Atlantis' long buried at the bottom of the North Sea could revolutionise how we see our prehistoric past

Britain's Atlantis

Scientific study beneath North Sea could revolutionise how we see the past
The Queen has 'done and said nothing that anybody will remember,' says Starkey

The Queen has 'done and said nothing that anybody will remember'

David Starkey's assessment
Oliver Sacks said his life has been 'an enormous privilege and adventure'

'An enormous privilege and adventure'

Oliver Sacks writing about his life
'Gibraltar is British, and it is going to stay British forever'

'Gibraltar is British, and it is going to stay British forever'

The Rock's Chief Minister hits back at Spanish government's 'lies'
Britain is still addicted to 'dirty coal'

Britain still addicted to 'dirty' coal

Biggest energy suppliers are more dependent on fossil fuel than a decade ago
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition

Orthorexia nervosa

How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
Lady Chatterley is not obscene, says TV director

Lady Chatterley’s Lover

Director Jed Mercurio on why DH Lawrence's novel 'is not an obscene story'
Farmers in tropical forests are training ants to kill off bigger pests

Set a pest to catch a pest

Farmers in tropical forests are training ants to kill off bigger pests