Allied ends distribution agreement with Seagram
Saturday 16 January 1993
Hiram Walker, its wine and spirits offshoot, is ending exisiting distribution agreements with the Canadian company Seagram for the French and German markets.
Seagram handles more than 1 million cases a year of Ballantine's, Courvoisier Cognac, Tia Maria, Kahlua and Canadian Club whisky in France and Germany.
Links between the two companies date back to 1964. Allied, like Guinness and Grand Metropolitan, has cemented its position among top drinks companies by direct control of nearly 90 per cent of sales and distribution.
Henry Pomeroy, of Hiram Walker, said: 'France and Germany are very important markets for us, and we want greater control of distribution and sales.'
A spokeswoman for Seagram said: 'We are still discussing what is going to happen, and we have contingency plans in place.'
The two companies are discussing possible future arrangements once the contract notice period expires at the end of this year.
Other brands Seagram handles in France and Germany include Glenmorangie and Jack Daniel's.
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
iJobs Money & Business
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£50,000 - £55,000: Neil Pavier: Are you a professionally qualified commercial ...
£45,000 - £55,000: Loren Hughes: Are you looking for a new opportunity that wi...
Circa £45,000-£50,000 + benefits: Sheridan Maine: Are you a newly qualified ac...