Asian downturn forces Morgan Crucible to sell division
Tuesday 15 September 1998
MORGAN CRUCIBLE is to sell its specialty materials unit to focus on its carbon and ceramics businesses, the hi-tech equipment maker said yesterday. The Windsor-based maker of fire bricks, ceramics and carbon electronics equipment said the decision to sell the specialty division, which produces advanced lubricants, metalworking products and electronic components for the aerospace, nuclear, telecoms and military industries, followed the economic downturn in Asia, where Morgan has several units. Morgan Crucible shares rose 6p, or 2 per cent, to 301p, after the company reported a 3.5 per cent rise in first-half profits and said profit was likely to be higher in the second half, if only because of acquisitions.
- 1 Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 Nineteen-year-old student left gifts for parents before taking her own life
- 4 Deliberately urinating before sex can increase risk of urinary tract infections
- 5 Winston Churchill: From accusations of anti-Semitism to the blunt refusal that led to the deaths of millions
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
David Cameron says anyone criticising Eric Pickles' letter to Muslims 'really has a problem'
iJobs Money & Business
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Tax Assistant is required to join a leading ...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£45000 - £47000 per annum + bonus + benefits: Ashdown Group: Java Developer / ...
£35000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager - Marke...