Bah, humbug! It's the taxman

Employee perks: Yuletide office parties can fall foul of the Inland Revenue, says Anthony Bailey

Christmas is coming and the office party season will soon be in full swing. But does your employer provide an extravagant festive bash? If it is too lavish, you could end up with a tax bill. Entertainment of staff by employers is tax-free, provided it does not cost more than pounds 75 a head. That is, pounds 75 a year. In practice most people will not be taxed. But a number of other "benefits-in-kind" are taxable.

In recent weeks we have looked at the tax status of perks such as company cars, employee share options and workplace nurseries. Here is a round- up of how the Inland Revenue taxes other popular benefits.

The main rule is that if a benefit is taxable you pay tax on the "taxable value". In many instances this is the cost incurred by your employer of providing the benefit (though you would deduct from that cost anything you pay your employer for the benefit). So if, say, a benefit has a taxable value of pounds 100, pounds 100 is added to your income. The tax you pay will depend on your other taxable income for the tax year: 24 per cent taxpayers will pay pounds 24 tax on a benefit with a taxable value of pounds 100, 40 per cent taxpayers will pay pounds 40.

Tax is collected by an adjustment to your tax code. Anyone with taxable benefits should scrutinise their Pay As You Earn (PAYE) coding notice to check that the taxable values given for benefits are correct. If they appear wrong, contact your salaries department. It provides the information to your tax office on which your code is based.

PAYE coding notices are sent out in January and February for the forthcoming tax year, which starts on 6 April. But they can also be sent out at any time if there is a change to your code. Codes can change long after you have started to receive a new taxable benefit, or have ceased to receive one, or have had a change in the value of the benefit. The system whereby employers report benefits and tax offices process those reports can be long-winded. This makes it more important to ensure that you end up paying the correct amount.

Accommodation: accommodation that goes with a job is often tax-free. This applies if you have to live in job-related accommodation to do the job or if you have a job where it is normal to have accommodation provided. It is also tax-free if accommodation is provided because of a threat to your security. Accommodation provided for company directors is normally taxable. While accommodation may be tax-free, heating and lighting and so on is not tax-free if your employer pays the bills.

Discounts at work: these are generally tax-free if they do not cost your employer anything. They will not cost anything if, for example, the discount is no more than your employer's profit margin.

Gifts: it would be too easy a tax-dodge if employers were allowed to make gifts to staff. So gifts could be taxable. But gifts (excluding money) to mark a special occasion, such as your wedding, will be tax free. Freebies that come your way during the course of your work from people other than your employer will be tax-free only if they cost no more than pounds 150.

Life insurance: many employers provide free life insurance, called death-in-service benefit, which typically pays out three or four times your before-tax earnings if you die. Free life insurance normally gets approval from the Inland Revenue to make it a tax-free benefit.

Loans: loans such as season ticket loans are tax-free up to pounds 5,000. But if the total exceeds pounds 5,000 (excluding mortgage loans) you are taxed on all the loans, including the first pounds 5,000. The taxable value of an interest-free loan is equivalent to the official rate of interest. Any interest you pay can be deducted.

Luncheon vouchers: taxable, although the first 15p a day is tax-free. But the benefit of subsidised works canteens is normally tax-free.

Mobile phones and car phones: fixed taxable value of pounds 200. That is, you pay tax at your highest rate on pounds 200.

Mortgages: a mortgage that qualifies for tax relief is valued for tax purposes at an official rate of interest set by the Inland Revenue, less any interest you pay your employer. Interest on a mortgage of pounds 30,000 at the official rate of 6.75 per cent comes to pounds 2,025 a year. Say you pay your employer 3 per cent, or pounds 900. Take pounds 900 from pounds 2,025 to get pounds 1,125. That is what you are taxed on. Mortgage interest relief at source (Miras), assuming you are not claiming it elsewhere, can reduce this tax bill. Miras is worth 15 per cent of the interest on the first pounds 30,000 of a loan: 15 per cent of the current official rate comes to pounds 303.75, which would more than cancel out the tax bill for a basic rate taxpayer in this example (since his tax bill would otherwise be pounds 270, or 24 per cent of pounds 1,125).

Permanent health insurance: the value of premiums for insurance that pay out an income while you are off work sick is, like life insurance, tax-free approved by the Inland Revenue. But you will be taxed on payouts. If you pay part of the premium the taxable value of any payout is reduced proportionately.

Sports clubs: you are taxed on what your employer pays by way of subsidy. If you get free membership of a sports club you may be taxed on less than the normal cost of membership if your employer has negotiated a reduced rate for employees.

Rewards for staff suggestions can be tax-free up to pounds 5,000.

Arts and Entertainment
'A voice untroubled by time': Kate Bush
musicReview: A preamble, then a coup de théâtre - and suddenly the long wait felt worth it
Life and Style
Cooked up: reducing dietary animal fat might not be as healthy as government advice has led millions of people to believe
healthA look at how governments started advising incorrectly on diets
peopleJustin Bieber accuses papparrazzi of acting 'recklessly' after car crash
Life and Style
Roger Federer is greeted by Michael Jordan following his victory over Marinko Matosevic
tennisRoger Federer gets Michael Jordan's applause following tweener shot in win over Marinko Matosevic
Arts and Entertainment
Oppressive atmosphere: the cast of 'Tyrant'
tvIntroducing Tyrant, one of the most hotly anticipated dramas of the year
Life and Style
Ukrainian Leonid Stadnik, 37, 2.59 meter (8,5 feet) tall, the world's tallest living man, waves as he poses for the media by the Chevrolet Tacuma car presented to him by President of Ukraine Viktor Yushchenko in Kiev on March 24, 2008.
newsPeasant farmer towered at almost 8'5'' - but shunned the limelight
Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon in ‘The Front Page’, using an old tech typewriter
Life and Style
Could a robot sheepdog find itself working at Skipton Auction Mart?
techModel would allow robots to be programmed to control crowds and save people from burning buildings
ebooksAn evocation of the conflict through the eyes of those who lived through it
Arts and Entertainment
Suha Arraf’s film ‘Villa Touma’ (left) is set in Ramallah and all the actresses are Palestinian
Angel Di Maria poses with Louis van Gaal after signing for Manchester United
sportWinger arrives from Real Madrid and could make debut on Saturday
Arts and Entertainment
Kingston Road in Stockton is being filmed for the second series of Benefits Street
arts + entsFilming for Channel 4 has begun despite local complaints
Arts and Entertainment
Hooked on classical: cellist Rachael Lander began drinking to combat panic attacks
musicThe cellist Rachael Lander’s career was almost destroyed by alcohol she drank to fight stage fright. Now she’s playing with Elbow...
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs Money & Business

Client Services Executive / Account Executive - SW London

£23000 - £26000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Account Executive / Client Services ...

PA to CEO / Executive Secretary

£36000 - £38000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Executive PA to CEO & Executive Dire...

Generalist HR Administrator, Tunbridge Wells, Kent - £28,000.

£25000 - £28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Generalist HR Administrator - Tunbri...

Senior C# Developer (.NET, C#, JMS, TDD, Web API, MVC, integrat

£45000 - £75000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Senior C...

Day In a Page

Kate Bush, Hammersmith Apollo music review: A preamble, then a coup de théâtre - and suddenly the long wait felt worth it

Kate Bush shows a voice untroubled by time

A preamble, then a coup de théâtre - and suddenly the long wait felt worth it
Robot sheepdog technology could be used to save people from burning buildings

The science of herding is cracked

Mathematical model would allow robots to be programmed to control crowds and save people from burning buildings
Tyrant: Is the world ready for a Middle Eastern 'Dallas'?

This tyrant doesn’t rule

It’s billed as a Middle Eastern ‘Dallas’, so why does Fox’s new drama have a white British star?
Rachael Lander interview: From strung out to playing strings

From strung out to playing strings

Award-winning cellist Rachael Lander’s career was almost destroyed by the alcohol she drank to fight stage fright. Now she’s playing with Elbow and Ellie Goulding
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?

A big fat surprise about nutrition?

The science linking saturated fats to heart disease and other health issues has never been sound. Nina Teicholz looks at how governments started advising incorrectly on diets
Emmys 2014 review: Can they genuinely compete with the Oscars

Can they genuinely compete with the Oscars?

The recent Emmy Awards are certainly glamorous, but they can't beat their movie cousins
On the road to nowhere: A Routemaster trip to remember

On the road to nowhere

A Routemaster trip to remember
Hotel India: Mumbai's Taj Mahal Palace leaves its darker days behind

Hotel India

Mumbai's Taj Mahal Palace leaves its darker days behind
10 best pencil cases

Back to school: 10 best pencil cases

Whether it’s their first day at school, uni or a new project, treat the student in your life to some smart stationery
Arsenal vs Besiktas Champions League qualifier: Gunners know battle with Turks is a season-defining fixture

Arsenal know battle with Besiktas is a season-defining fixture

Arsene Wenger admits his below-strength side will have to improve on last week’s show to pass tough test
Pete Jenson: Athletic Bilbao’s locals-only transfer policy shows success does not need to be bought

Pete Jenson: A Different League

Athletic Bilbao’s locals-only transfer policy shows success does not need to be bought
This guitar riff has been voted greatest of all time

The Greatest Guitar Riff of all time

Whole Lotta Votes from Radio 2 listeners
Britain’s superstar ballerina

Britain’s superstar ballerina

Alicia Markova danced... every night of the week and twice on Saturdays
Berlin's Furrie invasion

Berlin's Furrie invasion

2000 fans attended Eurofeurence
‘It was a tidal wave of terror’

‘It was a tidal wave of terror’

Driven to the edge by postpartum psychosis