Barclays to review clawbacks
Wednesday 17 June 1998
The practice - pensions clawback - has angered members of Barclays' pounds 10bn pension fund who find they can lose up to pounds 30 a week from their pension income. The fund has a surplus of more than pounds 2bn.
Following a meeting with the Barclays finance union, Unifi, the Barclays pensions director, Martin Hodgkinson, said he would take the issue to a meeting of the board of directors in August.
Unions have opposed the practice, which appears to undermine the principle that occupational pensions should be a "second tier" above the basic state pension.
Under pensions clawback, employers can reduce an employee's income from an occupational pension by an amount up to the value of the basic state pension, now pounds 64.70 a week. Up to 2.5 million pensioners in the UK are affected by clawback, which is used by 44 per cent of employers.
In some schemes, a pensioner paid an occupational pension worth pounds 100 a week could see it reduced to the level of the basic state pension - in effect shrinking the value of the pension rights to nothing.
Nearly 100 MPs have backed a campaign to have the practice abolished as part of the Government's review of pensions.
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 4 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 5 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
Car tax disc changes: Five facts you never knew about your (almost obsolete) tax disc
Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
The Aral Sea: Nasa pictures show how what was once the fourth largest lake in the world has become almost completely dry
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Real Staffing are currently lo...
NEGOTIABLE: Austen Lloyd: TRUST ACCOUNTANT - KENTIf you are a Chartered Accou...
£18000 - £20000 per annum + OTE £30000: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250 b...
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: CITY - Law Costs Draftsperson - NICHE...