Battle for Gucci takes a legal turn
Friday 09 April 1999
Gucci's supervisory board deemed "unacceptable" LVMH chairman Bernard Arnault's insistence that the $85 a share offer only be put to independent shareholders and that if more than 50 per cent accept, Gucci should issue enough new shares to give him control. LVMH wants the condition to get around the 42 per cent stake bought by rival Francois Pinault last month.
Gucci insisted LVMH could win even with the Pinault holding and was effectively asking Gucci to hand Mr Arnault control of the company on a plate.
Analysts said it was unlikely the battle would be resolved before a court hearing on 22 April at which an enterprise tribunal is expected to launch an investigation into the Pinault deal. "They just don't want to sell to LVMH," said one.
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + pro rata: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£30000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established in 1999, a highly r...
£250-£300 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Are you a qualified accountant with strong exp...
£230 - £260 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Do you want to stamp your footprint in histo...