BOC stock rises on hopes of pounds 7bn sale
Tuesday 22 June 1999
The rise in the share price - up 2.5 per cent to 1,262p - came as BOC confirmed that it had rejected a joint offer worth 1,420p a share from Air Liquide of France and Air Products of the United States. BOC also confirmed that it was no longer in talks with Praxair of the US.
A combination of BOC, Air Liquide and Air Products would have controlled 40 per cent of the world market and well over 50 per cent of the US market, presenting regulatory problems.
There is a strong suspicion that Air Liquide will come back to BOC on its own with a new set of proposals. The French company is BOC's preferred merger partner since the two groups are largely complementary.
Air Liquide had been negotiating a cash bid on its own for BOC but appears to have joined forces with Air Products after concluding BOC's advisers, JP Morgan, were playing the two bidders off against each other.
Outlook, page 19
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Real Staffing are currently lo...
NEGOTIABLE: Austen Lloyd: TRUST ACCOUNTANT - KENTIf you are a Chartered Accou...
£18000 - £20000 per annum + OTE £30000: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250 b...
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: CITY - Law Costs Draftsperson - NICHE...