Bottom Line: Chain or errors
Friday 20 May 1994
At Top Shop the mistake was to focus on too narrow an age range, alienating the 20- to 29- year-olds who felt they were a little long in the tooth for outsize grunge dresses and midriff- hugging tops.
At Principles the mistake was to make the store revamps so elegant and the merchandise so narrow in focus that many customers assumed it was a different shop.
At Burtons the mistake was to become too fashionable, losing those customers who wanted a more formal look.
At Top Shop and Principles reversing these mistakes has got sales on a rising trend once again, although the record has been so patchy that it would be rash to extrapolate from 11 weeks' figures. At Burtons an acceleration in the decline and a warning about a further drop in margins suggests there is still some way to go to get the format right.
Whether it will ever get the chains right remains an even bet. A 22-times multiple, based on a mid-range forecast of pounds 49m, assumes the odds are far better than that.
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + pro rata: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£30000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established in 1999, a highly r...
£250-£300 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Are you a qualified accountant with strong exp...
£230 - £260 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Do you want to stamp your footprint in histo...