Coats pays £65m for US engineering firm
Tuesday 21 February 1995
Neville Bain, Coats' chief executive, said SPM offered an excellent fit with Dynacast, Coats' precision engineering business.
Following the SPM acquisition, precision engineering will account for around 10 per cent of Coats' business. The other four core businesses are thread, clothing, fashion retailing, and home furnishing.
Mr Bain said the plastics activities of SPM and Dynacast would be incorporated in a new division headed by Mike Noggle, chief executive of SPM.
He said SPM would continue to run from eight factories in the US and there would be no job losses in the workforce of 1,100.
SPM's main customers are in the communications, computer, automotive and electronic industries and include AT&T, Ford and IBM.
Mr Bain said about 10 customers accounted for over 40 per cent of SPM's sales, but he did not think this made the group vulnerable. "People are reducing their supplier base significantly, and so we become mutually dependent on each other," he added.
In 1994 SPM made profits before interest and tax of £6.8m on sales of £75.4m.
Coats is shorly due to announce full-year trading results, with most analysts expecting taxable profits of £150-£155m.
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
iJobs Money & Business
£23000 - £26000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Market Research Executive...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Technical Report Writer is re...
Competitive salary & benefits!: MBDA UK Ltd: MBDA UK LTD Indirect Procurement...
£16500 - £16640 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing Finance compa...