Cognac sales headache for Remy Cointreau
Wednesday 17 January 1996
Remy Cointreau, the French drinks group, reported a fall in operating profits yesterday as a result of lower sales of its Remy Martin brand of cognac and the effects of currency fluctuations. The company also announced plans to reduce its Fr8.8bn (pounds 1.15bn) debt mountain to Fr6bn by converting debt into equity stakes.
Reporting figures for the nine months between April and December, the company said sales of cognac were 10 per cent down on the same period last year after the company introduced a price rise in July. The company lost market share to other cognac producers which cut prices or kept them constant.
However, Remy said rival producers were increasing prices and Remy Martin was beginning to claw back the lost ground. Sales had fallen sharply in China, though sales of champagnes such as Krug and Pieper Heidsieck had increased. Remy Cointreau's joint managing director, Marc Heriar Dubreuil, said: "You can tell the mood of a country by how much cognac it drinks."
Countries such as Vietnam, Korea and Russia were in a good mood, he said, while spirits (and sales) were deflated in France and Germany. The UK was performing steadily.
The company also said that the French government's controversial nuclear tests in the Pacific Rim last year had led to local boycotts that dented sales of its champagnes and wines. Local action was particularly strong in Scandinavia and Germany, as well as in Japan. However, sales in Britain had not been affected. Sales had also been disrupted by the recent strikes in Paris though this had not been serious.
While sales of cognac fell, champagne sales were up by 30 per cent in the period. Liqueur, wine and spirit sales were almost 10 per cent up. However, group profits were lower as the margins on champagnes and wines are slimmer. Currency fluctuations had also moved against the company.
Sales of Passoa, a passion fruit liqueur launched seven years ago, were growing strongly with sales up 30 per cent on last year.
In the six months to June, group operating profits fell from Fr394m to Fr216m. However, pre-tax profit increased from Fr135m to Fr217m due to Fr256m of exceptional items relating to the transfer of the Picon brand trading rights to Grand Metropolitan's IDV subsidiary last June.
As part of the group's policy to reduce debts its main shareholder, Orpar, has exercised its convertible bond for Fr836m creating 6 million new shares. Orpar is 70 per cent-owned by the Dubreil family which controls the group with the remaining 30 per cent held by Highland Distilleries.
Malaysia Airlines plane crash exposes alarming flaw in airline security: over one billion flights made last year without stolen-passport check
Swarm of killer bees sting woman 1,000 times
Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Oil slicks in South China Sea ‘not from missing jet’, officials say
Steve Irwin’s final words: Cameraman present at death opens up about deadly stingray attack for the first time
Oscar Pistorius trial: Athlete repeatedly throws up as court hears 'graphic details' of Reeva Steenkamp's autopsy
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Vince Cable: Teachers 'know absolutely nothing' about the world of work
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 3 North Korea elections: Kim Jong-un wins 100% of the vote
- 4 David Cameron resorts to paying for Facebook fans because not enough people like him
- 5 Steve Irwin’s final words: Cameraman present at death opens up about deadly stingray attack for the first time
iJobs Money & Business
£32000 - £36000 per annum + generous benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: * TAX * ...
£55000 - £70000 per annum + benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: In-House Corporat...
£80000 - £100000 per annum + benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: In-House Opportu...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + generous benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Mixed Ta...