Ben Chu: Sants should have held out for a peerage
Outlook Never underestimate the potential for the establishment to self-satirise. Hector Sants has been knighted in the New Year's Honours List for "services to financial services". And what sterling services those were. This is the man who, in his five years as chief executive of the Financial Services Authority, signed off on the Royal Bank of Scotland's disastrous acquisition of ABN Amro.
And what a public servant. He declined an opportunity to head the new Prudential Regulation Authority and chose instead to slap wrists at Barclays for £3m a year.
Here's a question: If you can be knighted for overseeing the biggest banking crisis in 100 years, what kind of financial devastation does one need to inflict to get a peerage?
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
iJobs Money & Business
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Age Concern Slough a...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Crossroads Care is s...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35,000: SThree: We consistently strive to be ...
£50000 - £90000 per annum + benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Markit EDM (CA...