David Prosser: Farepak victims not forgotten after all
Wednesday 16 February 2011
Outlook This is not to prejudge the outcome of the proceedings the Insolvency Service began yesterday against the former directors of the parent company of Farepak, but it is genuinely heartening to see the Government seek to hold someone to account for what was a sordid episode. The only losers so far from the Farepak scandal have been its savers – five Christmases have passed since they learned tens of millions of pounds of money put by so prudently had somehow gone up in smoke, but little responsibility has been attached to anyone involved.
Although there was a settlement between BDO, the Farepak administrator, and the directors in question, it was made with no admission of blame. And the £4m that BDO raised meant victims of the scandal saw their payments rise to only 15p of each pound lost. Regulatory improvements have been made since the affair, but justice should be done too.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...
£400 - £550 per day: Cornwallis Elt : BUSINESS ANALYST- OPERATIONS- PRIVATE B...