David Prosser: Glencore's IPO may not be a moment too soon
Thursday 14 April 2011
Outlook Roll up, roll up, for the Glencore flotation, likely to be announced as early as today. The commodities trader is certainly leaving it to the last minute to get its IPO away – a string of companies have dropped plans for listings over the past couple of weeks, so fragile is confidence in the new-issues market. There is also a growing clamour from commodities bears – witness the warning from Goldman Sachs earlier this week – that we may have reached the top of the boom.
Glencore is in a different league to the small and medium-sized companies that have pulled back from the market. The latest of these, Skrill, was after £170m, while Glencore is talking about £37bn. Still, it will be interesting to see whether this float proves the rule that anticipation is almost always better than the party itself.
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
iJobs Money & Business
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: EAST ANGLIA - SENIOR SOLICITOR LEVEL ROLE** -...
£Attractive Package: Citifocus Ltd: Prestigious asset management house seeks a...
£Negotiable: Citifocus Ltd: This is a varied role focusing on the firm's mutua...
£90000 - £140000 per annum + benefits: h2 Recruit Ltd: Are you a high achievin...