David Prosser: Olympus' entire board will have to step down
Wednesday 09 November 2011
Outlook It has taken just weeks for investigators at Olympus, the Japanese camera manufacturer, to uncover a scam that goes back two decades. Michael Woodford, the British businessman who ran the company until a few weeks ago – he says he was fired for asking too many questions – has been vindicated.
We do not yet have full details of what took place at Olympus, or what scale of loss has been hidden from shareholders. Nor have the individuals responsible for the deception been identified. But once the third party inquiry commissioned by Olympus reports back, it is hard to see how Olympus' entire board can avoid following the lead of the directors who have lost their jobs already. Either they were complicit or they failed to ask the right questions. Neither is forgivable, especially given the way they ousted the chief executive when he sought to blow the whistle for them.
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
iJobs Money & Business
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Fidessa Analyst / PM - Banking - London - Up to £...
£55000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Pension: Orgtel: Quantitative Analyst, ...
£150 - £250 per day: Orgtel: KYC Analyst - London - Banking - £150-250/day C...
£425 - £550 per day: Orgtel: Senior Finance Project Manager - £550 - Bristol -...