David Prosser: Where there's muddy puddles, there's brass
Wednesday 01 June 2011
Outlook Parents of pre-schoolers will testify that the loyalty of this demographic knows no limits – and also that Entertainment One's Peppa Pig is the proud owner of an awful lot of that loyalty just now (even if fathers might have a thing or two to say about Daddy Pig, who isportrayed as a fat, lazy dimwit).
It seems that American toddlers are no less immune to Peppa's charms. Given the show's ratings success in the US, the suggestion yesterday that merchandising sales might top $1bn a year – three times what is being achieved currently in the UK – do not seem at all outlandish.
Just one word of warning, however. Each pre-school generation has its own favourites, and not too many shows prove enduring. Where now are the stars of In the Night Garden or even the Teletubbies? Peppa's owners are wise to cash in while they can, but the joy of muddy puddles may turn out to be shortlived.
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Life on Earth may have developed below rather than above ground, reveal scientists
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£2000 - £25500 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: We are seeking an ...
£55000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Java De...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: PHP Developer (Web Developer, MyS...
£55000 - £75000 per annum + 28 Days Holiday: Harrington Starr: Flex Developer ...