David Prosser: Where there's muddy puddles, there's brass
Wednesday 01 June 2011
Outlook Parents of pre-schoolers will testify that the loyalty of this demographic knows no limits – and also that Entertainment One's Peppa Pig is the proud owner of an awful lot of that loyalty just now (even if fathers might have a thing or two to say about Daddy Pig, who isportrayed as a fat, lazy dimwit).
It seems that American toddlers are no less immune to Peppa's charms. Given the show's ratings success in the US, the suggestion yesterday that merchandising sales might top $1bn a year – three times what is being achieved currently in the UK – do not seem at all outlandish.
Just one word of warning, however. Each pre-school generation has its own favourites, and not too many shows prove enduring. Where now are the stars of In the Night Garden or even the Teletubbies? Peppa's owners are wise to cash in while they can, but the joy of muddy puddles may turn out to be shortlived.
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
iJobs Money & Business
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£45,000 - £55,000: Neil Pavier: Are you looking for your next opportunity for ...
£45,000 - £55,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you a newly qualified ACA/ACCA/ACMA qua...
£50,000 - £60,000: Laura Norton: Are you looking for an opportunity within a w...