James Moore: Government still haunted by curse of Equitable Life
Outlook Equitable Life caused no end of embarrassment to successive Labour governments. Now its doing the same to the Coalition, whose members made a great big song and dance about compensating victims, only to make a mess of doing so when it came to making good on the promise. So says the National Audit Office.
It accepts that government compensation schemes can be complex and difficult to administer. Doubly so, it might have added, when you're dealing with life insurance. But when ministers ploughed ahead they failed to learn any lessons from the past.
And while this meant they got the first payments out on time, it'll be a miracle if the scheme closes in 2014 as planned. The chances are this cursed insurer will still be haunting the next Government when it takes office.
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
iJobs Money & Business
£15000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company offers a range of ...
£15000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer Service Advisors are r...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: SThree were established in 1986....
£40000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Compliance Manager is require...