James Moore: Hoping BBA's new boss remembers his tin hat
Outlook Has Anthony Browne just taken on the City's toughest job? The new chief executive of the British Bankers' Association spent his life hobnobbing with ministers and civil servants from across Europe, the Middle East and Africa furthering the cause of Morgan Stanley in his last role. Prior to that he was an economic adviser to London Mayor Boris Johnson and he also once headed up Policy Exchange, the think-tank, when it was steering rather too close to David Cameron for the taste of certain right-wing critics.
The industry's thinking in hiring him is clear: the banks want one of their own, an insider, to cosy up to the Government for them. As for the bricks that keep getting lobbed at them from the public and media, well, Mr Browne is a former journalist. But those banking executives who have been accustomed to hiding behind his predecessor Angela Knight might just have to stand up and take some of those themselves.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
Deadly ice storm pushes up US east coast as temperatures drop to -29C
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: Technical Ap...
£Attractive Package: Citifocus: Excellent, opportunities exist for high calibr...
£Attractive Package: Citifocus: Key purpose of the role will be to act as Fixe...
£42000 - £46500 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Big 4 Opportunity...