Mark Leftly: Peace should pipe down and not mislead us
Outlook In a week when the press has been under such scrutiny it's good to see that there is still a punishment for lying to the media. Standard Chartered chairman Sir John Peace issued a humiliating apology for claiming that the bank had no "wilful" intention to breach United States sanctions at a press conference on 5 March.
He said the statement was "at best inaccurate" – so, just plain wrong then, contradicting Standard Chartered's previous admission that it had broken the rules, which cost the bank $667m (£441m). Misleading the financial press is too commonly described as "spin", a word that actually disguises a multitude of lies.
I'm not being puritanical about this profession: there are reporters who would surely have phone hacked if only they knew how. But there are an awful lot of lies in the City and this apology should be a salient reminder to tell the truth, it's the easiest thing to remember.
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£20000 - £24000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A leading provider of web based m...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Secretary (Sales Team Support) - Mat...
Competitive (DOE): Guru Careers: We are looking for an Assistant Management Ac...
£600 - £700 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Senior Investment Accounting Change...