Simon English: Bogus PPI claims are making things worse
Outlook Bleep. That's a text from your friendly neighbourhood ambulance chaser. It thinks you could be owed money for a personal protection insurance product you bought from your bank. Actually, you might not have bought one at all, but why not chance your arm? S'not a crime, is it?
There's no real reason to feel sorry for Lloyds and the others caught up in all of this. they did bring it on themselves and the punishment may even persuade them to behave better in the future.
But there's no question that some businesses being whacked by the PPI scandal are unfairly on the end of claims from punters and lawyers trying it on.
Chris Pilling, of Yorkshire Building Society, says the claims management firms are "a disgrace" that are hurting businesses and "assaulting" the public.
Although the Yorkshire has a minimal amount of exposure to the PPI mis-selling crisis, he says the society is still being deluged with claims it is obliged to process. The Yorkshire, like all banks or building societies, has to pay the Ombudsman £850 to look at each claim it receives even if it is sure no compensation is due.
Plainly, better regulation of the claims industry is needed.
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
iJobs Money & Business
£65000 - £85000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£400 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires a Senior Bus...
£250 - £350 per day: Orgtel: Financial Crime Analyst,Midlands, Banking, AML/Sa...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...