Simon English: Sorry Stelios – this time you were the loser
Friday 24 February 2012
Outlook "Change is in the air! I think this a great victory for shareholder activism."
That's Sir Stelios of easyJet yesterday on his battle with the budget airline he founded.
The thing is, he didn't really win. Most of the things to which he was opposed – notably the rewards to directors – are going ahead anyway because other shareholders didn't object.
Stelios is one of those likeable, risk-taking entrepreneurs of whom we need more. It'd be nice to always take his side, sadly his rhetoric tends to be somewhat scatter-gun. Better to make two clear points and one pointed joke, than ask 20 convoluted questions and chuck about exclamation marks.
An easy win for the queasyJet board.
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
iJobs Money & Business
£Attractive: Citifocus Ltd: High calibre individual with significant product d...
£Negotiable: Citifocus Ltd: Leading global bank seeks experienced credit analy...
£Attractive Package: Citifocus Ltd: High calibre individual with a high degree...
£Attractive: Citifocus Ltd: High calibre individual with superior academics an...