Decision on Bass deal soon
Thursday 22 May 1997
The deal has been marooned with the Monopolies and Mergers Commission since last year.
The comments came as the company announced a 10 per cent increase in half-year profits to pounds 318m, boosted by strong performances in its Bass Taverns business and the Coral betting shops.
There was also renewed speculation yesterday that Bass might bid for William Hill, the Brent Walker-owned bookmakers, at a price of up to pounds 700m. The company declined to comment.
Bass shares fell 22.5p to 798.5p on fears that it might over-pay as its seeks a deal. There were also concerns over a slowdown in the Holiday Inns hotels business.
Investment column, page 24
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991 with most Brits wanting to stay in'
iJobs Money & Business
£24000 - £28000 per annum + bonus & benefits: Ashdown Group: IT Business Syste...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: The SThree group is a world le...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Comission: SThree: The SThree group is a world lea...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £Competitive: SThree: SThree Group and have be...