Decision time over REC takeovers
Thursday 24 August 1995
"Strictly speaking, there are no competition issues involved in any of these bids. Despite calls from old Labour for Hanson - which still seems to be seen by some as the capitalist devil incarnate - in particular to be referred, it is hard to see how this can be justified, provided adequate regulatory safeguards are put in place.
"The same goes for the Southern bid for Sweb. To refer simply because Southern is foreign would be irrational, not to say quite possibly dangerous, for it might prompt retalitatory action by the Americans.
"The Scottish Power bid is the more tricky one. This is the first takeover bid by one power company for another within Britain. Moreover, this is a generator bidding for a distributor so there are separate issues about the consequences of virtical integration to be considered. However, even accepting there is a better case for referring Scottish than the others, it would cause a stink if Scottish was to be `victimised' and its ambitions stymied in this way while Hanson and the foreigner make hay. The upshot seems to be that you should refer the lot or none of them. To refer the lot is easy but it would be seen by the markets as arbitrary and it would be inconsistent with the mergers policy that recent decision-making has established. It's your shout, Minister."
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
iJobs Money & Business
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Fidessa Analyst / PM - Banking - London - Up to £...
£55000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Pension: Orgtel: Quantitative Analyst, ...
£150 - £250 per day: Orgtel: KYC Analyst - London - Banking - £150-250/day C...