Deutsche Telekom rules out Racal bid
Tuesday 04 November 1997
At least one other continental telephones giant, Telecom Italia, had examined making a provisional offer before last month's deadline for bids, but has also backed away. AT&T, the world's second-largest phone company which is frequently tipped to buy a UK network, had also taken an interest in the sale but has decided not to make an offer.
Deutsche was thought to be considering buying a 60 per cent stake in Racal Telecom, leaving Racal with the remaining 40 per cent in a deal which would value the telephones and data network at around pounds 575m. However, industry watchers had doubted Deutsche's intentions because the company is also expected to include Cable & Wireless in its Global One alliance with France Telecom and Sprint of the US, a move which would give the German group access to C&W's own UK network.
The decision by Deutsche not to launch a formal bid leaves just one confirmed contender in the running - Duncan Lewis, the former senior Granada executive and chief executive of the old Mercury phones business. Mr Lewis has been backed by Schroder Ventures, the venture capital arm of the merchant bank and is thought to be offering around pounds 450m for all of the business.
Sir Ernest Harrison, Racal's long-standing chairman, announced the review of the future of Racal Telecom and the group's data products division in June after a string of profit warnings dented the company's share price. Merrill Lynch, the US investment bank, was appointed to search for partners for the telecoms business, though Racal has not ruled out a sale of the whole division.
Racal Telecom is one of the UK's largest networks, with 5,700km of optical fibre and 7,000km of copper wire. It includes the old British Rail telecommunications operation, which runs alongside railway tracks, which Racal bought for pounds 130m in 1995.
A Racal spokesman declined to comment on the discussions, though sources close to the company insisted that more than one bidder had thrown their hat into the ring before the deadline expired.
- Chris Godsmark
- 1 'Fire at every person you see': Israeli soldiers reveal they were ordered to shoot to kill in Gaza – even if the targets may have been civilians
- 2 Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
- 5 Met Gala 2015: Beyoncé manages to out-skimp Rihanna, Miley and Kim Kardashian combined with near-naked ensemble
Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
Who should I vote for? The Independent quiz matches best political party for undecided voters ahead of the general election
Met Gala 2015: Beyoncé manages to out-skimp Rihanna, Miley and Kim Kardashian combined with near-naked ensemble
Syria's 'circle of hell': Aleppo residents describe children without heads, streets filled with blood and injuries never before witnessed by surgeons
General Election 2015: Photographic history of Bullingdon Club tracked down - including new picture of David Cameron in his finery
In defence of liberal democracy
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
iJobs Money & Business
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Uncapped commission: SThree: Can you speak German,...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: An exciting opportunity f...
£215 per day: Ashdown Group: Junior Project Manager (website, web application ...
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software Engineer / Softw...