Discounters force price war on supermarkets
According to a survey to be published this week by the research group Verdict, prices at the quality supermarkets have fallen 7 per cent since last September, compared with a 3 per cent drop at the discounters.
Verdict cautions against calling the latest moves a price war, saying the cuts are selective.
But it says there has been a marked acceleration in the growth of the discount sector of the market.
Sales at discount chains were worth more than pounds 4bn in 1992 compared with pounds 2bn in 1983.
The French supermarket chain Carrefour recently opened its first British outlet in Kent and has targeted London and the South-east for further expansion. Traditionally discounters have concentrated on the North of England and Scotland.
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991 with most Brits wanting to stay in'
iJobs Money & Business
£24000 - £28000 per annum + bonus & benefits: Ashdown Group: IT Business Syste...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: The SThree group is a world le...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Comission: SThree: The SThree group is a world lea...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £Competitive: SThree: SThree Group and have be...