Duisenberg says he won't retire
Thursday 31 December 1998
At the time of his appointment last May Mr Duisenberg said he did not wish to serve out the full term, in a move seen as a compromise with France. To the annoyance of other countries, it had been pushing its own candidate for the job.
However, he has never confirmed the French interpretation, and when asked whether he intended to leave after four years, the outspoken Dutchman told Le Monde, in an interview published today ahead of the launch of the euro: "I had hoped you would not ask this question. The answer is no." Separately, Mr Duisenberg said yesterday that no change in euro interest rates should be expected soon. All participating countries have reduced their key interest rates to 3 per cent during the past month.
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
iJobs Money & Business
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT ROLE**...
Up to £100k or £450p/d: Saxton Leigh: My client is a leading commodities tradi...
£320 - £330 per day: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have been engaged by a l...
To £75,000 + Pension + Benefits + Bonus: Saxton Leigh: My client is looking f...