Eidos signs Michael Owen
Friday 04 September 1998
Eidos chief executive Charles Cornwall said the company had signed Owen in an exclusive deal stretching over several years. Although he refused to comment on how much the footballer was receiving, industry experts said the deal, which is likely to be linked to game sales, would be worth hundreds of thousands of pounds.
Michael Owen may also promote Eidos' other football products that include the popular Championship Manager.
The news came as Eidos reported a pre-tax loss of pounds 2.3m against pounds 8.6m in the same period of last year, with turnover soaring 175 per cent to pounds 25.8m.
Eidos shares, which have fallen sharply in recent months, jumped 25p to close at 707p.
Eidos, best known for Tomb Raider, is planning to release Tomb Raider 3 at Christmas.But Mr Cornwall insisted Eidos was no longer a one-product company, pointing to other successful games, like Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, with Ninja and Shadow of Darkness planned for later this year.
Mr Cornwall said: "It's safe to say we are always looking at things," when asked about persistent acquisition rumours.Observers suggest Eidos has been looking at Psygnosis, the games development group put up for sale by its Japanese owners Sony, and Rage Software, the quoted UK group.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...
£80000 - £100000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Project Manag...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...