English face sells US lace
Sunday 16 August 1998
Victoria's Secret, one of America's fastest growing lingerie chains, has launched an "English Lace" collection sold throughout its 800 shops. At fashion shows, models sport bowler hats, straight out of The Avengers, as a female voice with a no-nonsense English accent introduces the collection.
The company reported record sales of $2.4bn (pounds 1.5bn) in 1997 and plans to open 74 more stores to increase its 14 per cent share of the US lingerie market.
In addition to lingerie, Victoria's Secret plans to launch a line of cosmetics next month.
It is a division of Intimate Brands, which also owns health and beauty chain, Bath & Body Works.
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C#.NET ...
£20000 - £30000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Junior D...