Ford cull of 8,800 jobs costs $950m
Saturday 16 January 1999
The size of the charge, to be taken in the company's fourth quarter, surprised analysts. The job losses include 2,000 in Europe, 2,.200 in North America and 4,600 in Latin America. Ford insisted that these were previously announced redundancies largely completed last year."As far as we are concerned there is no new job reduction programme in place," said a spokesman for Ford UK.
Ford's worldwide workforce is 330,000. In the UK there have been about 200 job losses from a workforce of 28,000. The Dagenham plant in Essex has been on short-time working for three months. It will remain on a four- day week until at least the end of February because of a downturn in exports which account for 45 per cent of sales.
The job cuts will lead to a $730m charge. Ford is also taking a $110m charge to cover its exposure to South Korean carmaker Kia and a $110m charge in respect of the transfer of a transmission plant in Ohio into a joint venture company.
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
iJobs Money & Business
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A position has arisen within th...
£50000 - £63000 per annum + excellent benefits : Ashdown Group: IT Manager / D...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Applicants must hold a valid SIA Door Su...
£50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Business Analyst - Financial Services - The C...