GGT accepts pounds 143m bid from Omnicom
Thursday 29 January 1998
GGT's New York agency, Wells BDDP, lost the P&G account last week, just a month after the departure of Paula Forman, chief operating officer of Wells BDDP, after a disagreement with the president Frank Assumma.
GGT paid pounds 96m for the BDDP business less than a year ago, and wrote off pounds 8m in reorganisation costs which wiped out the group profit in the year to 30 April. Losing the P&G account will knock pounds 80m off GGT's annual revenues and an estimated pounds 3m off its expected profit this year.
But GGT's misfortune was Omnicom's opportunity. Omnicom holds the account for P&G's main rival, Unilever, and would have had to sacrifice one or other of the accounts if it had acquired GGT before the P&G account was lost.
GGT shareholders will keep the 2.5p net dividend announced last week. The offer is 26.5p above the share price on Tuesday.
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
Leaked documents show Ukip leaders approve NHS privatisation once it becomes more 'acceptable to the electorate'
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £32000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, int...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding business...
£25 - 28k + Bonus: Guru Careers: An In-house / Internal Recruiter is needed to...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Tax Assistant is required to join a leading ...