Your education questions answered by college advisor Beryl Dixon
Click to follow
The Independent Online
Q: As a student will I have to pay council tax?

Students are exempt from paying this tax, so there should be no problem if you live in a hall of residence or share private accommodation with other students. If you shared with one (non-student) adult they could still claim the 25 per cent single-occupancy discount. If there are two or more other adults, the full tax is payable.

Q: Is there a fee for entering Clearing next summer?

A: No. It's included in the fee you pay to UCAS when you apply this term. The only exception would be if you earlier applied for one course only, paying the reduced pounds 5 fee. Going into Clearing would count as making extra applications, so you would then have to pay the balance of pounds 9, which is the full fee.

Q: I want to apply for a diploma course in nursing but I can't find any in the UCAS handbook.

A: Nursing degree courses are included in the handbook, but not the specialist diploma programmes. If you are going to apply to courses in England you need to contact NMAS - the Nursing and Midwifery Admissions Service at Rosehill, New Barn Lane, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL52 3LZ. You can write, or phone 01242 544949 for an application package. In Scotland you would need to contact NBS Catch, PO Box 21, Edinburgh EH2 1NT (0131 247 6622). In Northern Ireland courses are held at The School of Nursing and Midwifery, Queen's University, Belfast, 1-3 College Park East, Belfast BT7 1LQ, (01232 273997). In Wales, apply to individual nursing colleges. Obtain their addresses from The Welsh National Board for Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting, Golate House, 101 St Mary Street, Cardiff CF1 1DX (01222 261400).

Q: While I am a student will I be able to get any part-time work that would be relevant to a future career?

A: Make early contact with your careers service. They will have details on vacation employment which is relevant to some careers. They will also be able to help you relate any voluntary or paid work to future employment by introducing you to a scheme which shows you how to acquire and log work-related skills that employers want - even from non-relevant work.