Great computer cock-ups
Friday 24 January 1997
Department of Social Security: A system called Operational Strategy to computerise benefits payments was originally planned to cost pounds 700m in the late 1980s. The Government now plans to spend pounds 2.6bn.
Wessex Regional Health Authority: Scrapped a computer database in 1990 after spending pounds 63m.
Hyder: Abandoned an electricity billing project in 1996 after spending pounds 35m.
London Ambulance Service: During 1991-92 had two attempts to computerise ambulance dispatch costing pounds 9m.
Performing Rights Society: Developed a system called PROMS to computerise royalties for performing artists. So far pounds 16m has been spent.
Source: "Computer Weekly".
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Network Engineer (CCNP, CCNA, Linux, OSPF,...
£50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: DevOps Engineer (Systems Administration, L...
£60000 - £70000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A prestigious leading professiona...