Green axes two Sears directors
Thursday 28 January 1999
PHILIP GREEN has axed two directors of Sears days after winning control of the struggling retailer. David Defty, the finance director, and Roger Groom, property director, will depart with a combined payoff of pounds 1m.
Mr Defty, who considered launching a management buyout of the company, receives a total of pounds 728,000. This consists of pounds 453,410 payment for termination of employment, a "loyalty bonus" of pounds 220,000 and a discretionary bonus of pounds 55,000, on top of his annual salary of pounds 220,000. Mr Defty joined Sears in June 1994 on a two-year contract. Mr Groom receives a total of pounds 318,368 made up of pounds 268,368 severance pay plus a pounds 50,000 payment to his pension fund. He had been with Sears since February 1991 and was also on a two- year contract.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela's death: South Africa and the world mourns loss of Nelson Mandela
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...