Green axes two Sears directors
Thursday 28 January 1999
Mr Defty, who had been interested in launching a management buyout of the company, receives a total of pounds 728,000. This consists of pounds 453,410 payment for termination of employment, a "loyalty bonus" of pounds 220,000 and a discretionary bonus of pounds 55,000. This is in addition to his annual salary of pounds 220,000. Mr Defty joined Sears in June 1994 and was employed on a two-year contract.
Mr Groom receives a total of pounds 318,368 made up of pounds 268,368 severance pay plus a pounds 50,000 payment to his pension fund. He had been with Sears since February 1991 and was also on a two-year contract. Sir Bob Reid, the Sears chairman who initially rejected Mr Green's bid, is not eligible for compensation.
Mr Green has left the divisional directors in place. They are Derek Lovelock, who runs the clothing businesses such as Miss Selfridge, Adams and Wallis, and John Pearmund, who runs the Freemans mail-order operation.
The compensation details were included in the offer document relating to the recommended pounds 548m offer for Sears launched by January Investments, a company fronted by Mr Green and backed by the Barclay brothers.
Mr Green is expected to take a close look at head office costs at Sears, but has yet to come to any decision.
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
iJobs Money & Business
£23000 - £26000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Market Research Executive...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Technical Report Writer is re...
Competitive salary & benefits!: MBDA UK Ltd: MBDA UK LTD Indirect Procurement...
£16500 - £16640 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing Finance compa...