GWR drops out of Melody Radio auction as sale price reaches pounds 25m
Saturday 24 January 1998
According to industry sources, GWR, which operates radio stations in the west of England and on the south coast, felt the price had got too high. The company is also believed to have pulled out because, in the case of a successful bid, it would have surpassed regulatory limits on the share of the audience any radio operator is allowed to control.
A spokesman for GWR declined to comment on the news, which came on the day that final bids for Melody Radio were submitted to Hanson, the building materials group which has put it up for sale. Although Hanson did not disclose the number of offers it had received, GWR's withdrawal is thought to leave three serious bidders in the race - Emap, Scottish Radio and Chrysalis.
The high price on offer for Melody will surprise the industry. Although the station has a large number of listeners, they fall into the older age ranges that are less attractive to advertisers.
- Peter Thal Larsen
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + pro rata: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£30000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established in 1999, a highly r...
£250-£300 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Are you a qualified accountant with strong exp...
£230 - £260 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Do you want to stamp your footprint in histo...