Hodder on takeover trail
Tuesday 08 September 1998
Hodder is looking for companies whose authors have strong "backlists" of previously published work. Although Hodder is not in any direct talks at the moment, it has the power to finance a deal as its gearing has been halved to 11 per cent at the end of the half year. First-half profits rose by 70 per cent to pounds 2.2m.
Hodder said it had strong expectations for titles to be released in its second half. These include Stephen King's Bag of Bones, John le Carre's Single and Single and autobiographies from Will Carling and Sir Edward Heath. The tale of a travelling giraffe is also being tipped as a Christmas bestseller. Michael Allin's Zarafa is the story of a giraffe given to France's Emperor Charles X by an Egyptian potentate.
Investment, page 17
- 1 Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Compliance Manager is require...
£22500 - £27000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: Since our inception in 1986, STh...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This extremely successful and well-established...
Competitive with monthly bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced FX...