Holland & Barrett sale raises healthy pounds 100m
Saturday 09 August 1997
NBTY, formed in the US as Natures Bounty in 1960, has bought the chain from Gehe, the German pharmaceuticals group which acquired it as part of the Lloyds Chemists deal in January. The existing management, led by managing director Barry Vickers will continue to run the company, and NBTY said there would be no redundancies among the 2,250 staff.
The deal means a further invasion of the UK health food market by US groups. General Nutrician Centres is also expanding in the UK, though from a smaller base.
Holland & Barrett has 402 shops and last year achieved profits of pounds 8.2m on sales of pounds 110m. NBTY plans to continue the group's expansion plans.
Barry Vickers, Holland & Barrett's managing director, welcomed the deal, saying it would help fund further expansion and aid investment in better in-store technology and additional advertising and marketing.
The deal will give NBTY combined sales of pounds 260m this year with 500 stores.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...
£400 - £550 per day: Cornwallis Elt : BUSINESS ANALYST- OPERATIONS- PRIVATE B...
£50000 - £65000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Market Data SM...