Hostile pounds 1bn bid for Swalec imminent
Sunday 26 November 1995
The bid could come as early as the latter part of this week. Swalec has thus far rebuffed Welsh Water's advances and questioned the benefits of a combined power and water utility.
The probability of yet another bid for a regional electricity company (REC) comes amid growing takeover fever in the stock market, with speculators piling into perceived target companies.
More than 20 million shares in Asda changed hands on Friday amid frantic speculation that the supermarket group would be on the receiving end of a bid shortly.
Argyll, Associated British Foods and William Morrison were all mooted as possible predators. Asda shares rocketed by 5.25p to 103.5p.
Welsh Water has delayed talking in detail with Swalec because it wanted to see what value unofficial or "grey" dealings would put on its National Grid stake. It also wants the uncertainty of Tuesday's Budget out of the way.
Welsh Water is unfazed by the Government's decision last week to refer National Power's pounds 2.8bn offer for Southern Electric and PowerGen's pounds 1.95bn tilt at Midlands Electricity to the Monopolies and Mergers Commission.
Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Ryanair calls on CAA to act over air traffic chaos caused by telephone system glitch
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£80000 - £100000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Project Manag...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...