Insurance without the headaches

Information sources: where to go to find the best deals on vehicle and home cover

ONE of the most distressing things about buying house or car insurance is the thought that perhaps you are paying too much. But premiums have been falling, and if you give yourself plenty of time to ring round, you can probably make some savings.

You may qualify for a discount because you have put decent locks on your car or your house, or because you belong to a Neighbourhood Watch scheme, or because you are home all day, or because you put your car in a garage or do very few miles in it, or because of your job. Civil servants, teachers, police, firefighters and clergy, for example, can all pay lower premiums, either because they are considered low-risk or because they have banded for a group discount. If you belong to any organisations (a trade union, the National Trust or the Institute of Advanced Motorists, for example), they may have negotiated discounts. Even so, a discount is no guarantee of the best deal. Other insurers may be cheaper for everyone.

q You can approach the insurer direct (Direct Line alone claims 11-12 per cent of the market), use one of the company's own tied agents (say via a bank) or you can use a broker or other intermediary.

q Neither brokers nor other (untied) insurance intermediaries have to consider all policies when making their recommendations. In particular, they will ignore policies sold direct.

Ask brokers how many insurers they can select from (broadly speaking, the more the better, including access to underwriters at Lloyd's). Registered insurance brokers have to be with the Insurance Brokers Registration Council (IBRC) and have to abide by its rules (on solvency and client money accounts, for instance) and to have professional indemnity insurance.

q To get the addresses of three brokers near you, contact the British Insurance & Investment Brokers Association (Biba) at 14 Bevis Marks, London EC3A 7NT (0171-623 9043), or alternatively use Yellow Pages. You can contact the IBRC at 15 St Helen's Place, London EC3A 6DS to check whether a broker is a member or for a copy of its How to Complain leaflet.

q Other insurance intermediaries are covered by a code of practice issued by the Association of British Insurers.

q It is especially sensible to shop around if you are a "difficult-to- place" risk, a young driver, for instance, or if you are disabled or in a high-risk occupation or if you have got a high-performance or old car, or if you live in a house with a high rebuilding cost. Privilege, a Direct Line associate company, specialises in non-standard risks for car insurance. Elsewhere, Norwich Union Direct reckons to be able to give quotes to 98 per cent of callers. Trawl through Yellow Pages to find brokers to help if you are not a standard risk.

q Other insurers specialise too. Saga, for instance, specialises in the over-50s, and Endsleigh in the academic field, that is, teachers and students (students should also look at what their parents' policies might offer). Help the Aged also has policies for the over-50s.

q A Which? report (try your local library) will help you compare the cover that is on offer, but there is no real alternative to reading the policy. Most policies are written in reasonable English now, so while it will never be fun, it is no longer a near-impossibility. Look out for any liabilities and excesses (maximum cover for valuables, costs of staying in alternative accommodation while your house is under repair, subsidence excess and personal liability cover, for example). Look out, too, for whether property is covered outside the home.

q The ABI produces information sheets that tell you what to expect most policies to include and that could be helpful when you are choosing cover. You can obtain copies by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the ABI, 51 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HQ. On claims, the ABI has leaflets on Claiming on your Home Insurance Policy and What to do When Making a Motor Insurance Claim.

q To help prepare your claim, you may want to use a loss assessor. A good loss assessor will help you find specialist builders and surveyors to give quotes for repairing damage, will get quotes for whatever you need to replace, and help you make your claim. You may find a loss assessor on what is left of your doorstep after a fire or other disaster.

q You can take out insurance to pay for a loss assessor through a company called the Loss Recovery Group. Cover begins at pounds 9 a year for losses of up to pounds 25,000. Your broker should be able to find you details. LRG has a national panel of assessors who carry out the claims preparation work, or you can find a loss assessor through your broker or from Yellow Pages. Loss assessors may charge an hourly rate or a percentage of the claim.

q If you reach deadlock with the senior management of your insurer, then provided the company is a member, you may be able to turn to the Insurance Ombudsman. You can accept or reject any decision the Ombudsman comes to, and still go to court if you want to, but the insurer is bound to pay you awards made by the Ombudsman of up to pounds 100,000. The service costs you nothing. Write to the Insurance Ombudsman Bureau, City Gate One, 135 Park Street, London SE1 9EA for a How The Insurance Ombudsman Can Help You leaflet.

q Insurers who are not members of the Insurance Ombudsman Bureau may be members of the Personal Insurance Arbitration Service, operated by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. You state your claim and comment on the insurer's defence but the arbitrator's decision is then final, and you cannot go to court if you do not like it. Application forms are available from your insurer and the service is free to policyholders.

Life and Style
A view of today's Spanish papers
Arts and Entertainment
Serge Pizzorno of Kasabian and Noel Fielding backstage at the Teenage Cancer Trust concerts
musicKasabian and Noel Fielding attack 'boring' musicians
Arts and Entertainment
Pink Floyd on stage at Live 8 in 2005. From left to right: David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Nick Mason and Rick Wright
music New album The Endless River set to overtake boyband for most pre-ordered of all-time
Arts and Entertainment
The last great picture - Winner 'Black and White' and overall 'Wildlife Photographer of the Year'
videoWatch Lynda Bellingham's tragic final Loose Women appearance
Arts and Entertainment
Benedict Cumberbatch films his performance as Smaug in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
ebooksAn unforgettable anthology of contemporary reportage

nflAtlanta Falcons can't count and don't know what the UK looks like
Arts and Entertainment
High notes, flat performance: Jake Bugg

Review: Despite an uphill climb to see Jake Bugg in action, his performance is notably flat

The Putin automaton will go on sale next month in Germany
videoMusical Putin toy showing him annexing Crimea could sell for millions
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs Money & Business

IT Systems Business Analyst - Watford - £28k + bonus + benefits

£24000 - £28000 per annum + bonus & benefits: Ashdown Group: IT Business Syste...

Trainee Recruitment Consultant - Birmingham - Real Staffing

£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: The SThree group is a world le...

Trainee Recruitment Consultant Birmingham

£18000 - £23000 per annum + Comission: SThree: The SThree group is a world lea...

Trainee Recruitment Consultants

£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £Competitive: SThree: SThree Group and have be...

Day In a Page

Indiana serial killer? Man arrested for murdering teenage prostitute confesses to six other murders - and police fear there could be many more

A new American serial killer?

Police fear man arrested for murder of teen prostitute could be responsible for killing spree dating back 20 years
Sweetie, the fake 10-year-old girl designed to catch online predators, claims her first scalp

Sting to trap paedophiles may not carry weight in UK courts

Computer image of ‘Sweetie’ represented entrapment, experts say
Fukushima nuclear crisis: Evacuees still stuck in cramped emergency housing three years on - and may never return home

Return to Fukushima – a land they will never call home again

Evacuees still stuck in cramped emergency housing three years on from nuclear disaster
Wildlife Photographer of the Year: Intimate image of resting lions claims top prize

Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Intimate image of resting lions claims top prize
Online petitions: Sign here to change the world

Want to change the world? Just sign here

The proliferation of online petitions allows us to register our protests at the touch of a button. But do they change anything?
Ed Sheeran hits back after being labelled too boring to headline festivals

'You need me, I don’t need you'

Ed Sheeran hits back after being labelled too boring to headline festivals
How to Get Away with Murder: Shonda Rhimes reinvents the legal drama

How to Get Away with Murder

Shonda Rhimes reinvents the legal drama
A cup of tea is every worker's right

Hard to swallow

Three hospitals in Leicester have banned their staff from drinking tea and coffee in public areas. Christopher Hirst explains why he thinks that a cuppa is every worker's right
Which animals are nearly extinct?

Which animals are nearly extinct?

Conservationists in Kenya are in mourning after the death of a white northern rhino, which has left the species with a single male. These are the other species on the brink
12 best children's shoes

Perfect for leaf-kicking: 12 best children's shoes

Find footwear perfect to keep kids' feet protected this autumn
Anderlecht vs Arsenal: Gunners' ray of light Aaron Ramsey shines again

Arsenal’s ray of light ready to shine again

Aaron Ramsey’s injury record has prompted a club investigation. For now, the midfielder is just happy to be fit to face Anderlecht in the Champions League
Comment: David Moyes' show of sensitivity thrown back in his face by former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson

Moyes’ show of sensitivity thrown back in his face... by Ferguson

Manchester United legend tramples on successor who resisted criticising his inheritance
Two super-sized ships have cruised into British waters, but how big can these behemoths get?

Super-sized ships: How big can they get?

Two of the largest vessels in the world cruised into UK waters last week
British doctors on brink of 'cure' for paralysis with spinal cord treatment

British doctors on brink of cure for paralysis

Sufferers can now be offered the possibility of cure thanks to a revolutionary implant of regenerative cells
Ranked seventh in world’s best tourist cities - not London, or Edinburgh, but Salisbury

Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015

UK city beats Vienna, Paris and New York to be ranked seventh in world’s best tourist destinations - but it's not London