Investment Column: Would-be high-flyer EIS remains firmly earthbound
Tuesday 29 April 1997
Yesterday, the group compounded its dull record with a warning that it had been hit by the combined impact of depressed European markets and a strong pound. The news sent the shares crashing 32p to 312.5p, a level not seen for more than five years.
The 1996 figures accompanying the announcement suggested a year in line with recent form. Pre-tax profits rose 15 per cent to pounds 23.4m but share earnings barely moved.
The pounds 18m acquisition of Aerostructures Hamble at the end of 1995 still looks expensive. EIS admits the business, which has only just broken into profits, was in a shakier condition than it first thought and it is taking another pounds 5.2m write-off. It should have been well warned: Aerostructures, which makes the leading edge of wings for plane makers such as Boeing, was one of the worst in a string of disastrous new issues a few years ago.
But its strenuous efforts to get key contracts for Boeing's 737-700 and the McDonnell Douglas MD 80/90 back on track are being rewarded in much increased business. Production of four wing sets a month for Boeing is set to more than double to 10 by the end of the year and recent forecasts by Smiths Industries suggest output of the aircraft could double again by 1999.
EIS is strongly geared into the rising civil aviation market, which accounts for around 60 per cent of the pounds 252m sales out of the group's aircraft and precision engineering division. But the outlook for the other 40 per cent involved in defence is also increasingly rosy.
The other half of EIS, in oil, gas and petrochemicals engineering, is less exciting. The group claims to be attempting to move away from the sort of process engineering operation traditionally bedevilled by lumpy income and contract disputes. But its fluid seals and disc brakes arms suffered in this way last year.
Acquisitions, plus higher working capital requirements, sent gearing up to 44 per cent at the year end. The recent sale of the Technical Mouldings business should see that come back to a pro forma 25 per cent, cutting the interest bill, so profits of pounds 25m should be in sight for this year. That leaves the shares on a lowly forward p/e of 10. The fundamentals are there, but manage- ment looks in need of an infusion of new blood. Avoid.
- 1 Finland schools: Subjects scrapped and replaced with 'topics' as country reforms its education system
- 2 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 3 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 4 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
- 5 Zayn Malik quits One Direction: Hundreds of workers request compassionate leave following band member's exit
Germanwings captain Patrick Sondenheimer tried to break into locked cockpit door 'with an axe' as plane was descending
Amanda Knox murder conviction: Italian court overturns verdict for US student and Raffaele Sollecito in the killing of Meredith Kercher
Saudi Arabia says it won't rule out building nuclear weapons
The battle for the Middle East's future begins in Yemen as Saudi Arabia jumps into the abyss
#FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Germanwings plane crash live: Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz wanted to 'do something people would remember him for'
iJobs Money & Business
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: To provide a prompt, friendly and efficient se...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: You will be the first point of contact for all...
£18000 - £24000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: HR, Payroll & Benefits Of...
£35000 - £38000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, int...