Italian stocks and bonds slump in EMU entry row
Thursday 02 October 1997
Mr Prodi is facing defeat of his 1998 budget by his hard-left allies in the worst crisis since his centre-left coalition took power in May 1996. The assault on Italian financial assets sparked calls for fresh elections.
Italy's all-share Mibtel Index shed 466, or 2.9 per cent, to 15,403, its worst one-day drop in 19 months. Futures on Italian bonds for December settlement in London dropped 0.56 to 111.40, and the Italian lira tumbled to 980.0 lire per German mark from 977.1 lire.
Some stock and bond investors, though, said they still expect Mr Prodi's government to survive and bring the budget deficit below 3 per cent of the gross domestic product - a pre-condition for joining EMU in 1999.
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
iJobs Money & Business
£20000 - £23250 Per Annum pro rata: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pro rata ...
£40 - 48k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Manager to join...
£45,000 - £65,000: Saxton Leigh: Our client is a well-known APAC Corporate and...
£60000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Compensation and Benefits Manager - Compensat...