Italy's EMU prospects still raise doubts
Saturday 31 January 1998
In the past week Gerhardt Schroder, the probable SPD candidate for Chancellor, said Italian membership is unlikely to be an issue in the German elections. Meanwhile Antonio Fazio the governor of the Italian central bank, said the Italian budget deficit was probably under 3 per cent last year, and the rejection by Eurostat of the Italian government's plan to reduce the deficit by including pounds 1bn worth of profits on gold sales had little real impact.
Next week the Italian Finance Minister visits Germany for talks with the Bundesbank and with Economics Minister Theo Weigel. Unemployment figures in Germany next Thursday will be also be closely watched.
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
Poppy Appeal 2014: This is why I won't be wearing a red poppy this year
iJobs Money & Business
£60000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Compensation and Benefits Manager - Compensat...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum plus excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + bonus & benefits: Ashdown Group: IT Business Syste...
£50000 - £90000 per annum + benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Markit EDM (CA...