Jardine buys Appleyard for pounds 53m
Saturday 11 October 1997
The two businesses are roughly equal in size and the deal will create the biggest single motor dealership in the UK with annual sales of pounds 1.3bn.
Jardine is paying 80p a share, a premium of 21 per cent on the market price of Appleyard shares on Thursday night, but well below the peak of 92p when Appleyard first emerged as a bid target earlier this summer. The two businesses were a good fit geographically and Appleyard's VW and Audi dealerships would fit well with Jardine's strength in Fords, Jardine's chief executive, Peter Ward, a former chief executive of Rolls-Royce, said yesterday.
Mr Ward said that Jardine would surrender Appleyard's Scandia lorry franchise in return for a payment of pounds 7.5m and there would be some adjustments in its list of dealerships, but Jardine would keep the Minories Vauxhall business and the contract hire business.
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
iJobs Money & Business
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Comission: SThree: The SThree group is a world lea...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Real Staffing are currently lo...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35,000 first year: SThree: The SThree group i...
£20 - 24k (Uncapped Commission - £35k Year 1 OTE): Guru Careers: We are seekin...