Jardine buys Appleyard for pounds 53m
Saturday 11 October 1997
The two businesses are roughly equal in size and the deal will create the biggest single motor dealership in the UK with annual sales of pounds 1.3bn.
Jardine is paying 80p a share, a premium of 21 per cent on the market price of Appleyard shares on Thursday night, but well below the peak of 92p when Appleyard first emerged as a bid target earlier this summer. The two businesses were a good fit geographically and Appleyard's VW and Audi dealerships would fit well with Jardine's strength in Fords, Jardine's chief executive, Peter Ward, a former chief executive of Rolls-Royce, said yesterday.
Mr Ward said that Jardine would surrender Appleyard's Scandia lorry franchise in return for a payment of pounds 7.5m and there would be some adjustments in its list of dealerships, but Jardine would keep the Minories Vauxhall business and the contract hire business.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...
£400 - £550 per day: Cornwallis Elt : BUSINESS ANALYST- OPERATIONS- PRIVATE B...