L&G shares get boost
In both the UK and worldwide, L&G achieved a 27 per cent rise in equivalent premium income, the industry measure that adds a tenth of single premiums to the more valuable annual premium business. The UK total increased to pounds 122.7m, and the worldwide total to pounds 156.1m.
The bulk of the improvement stemmed from lump sum investments and other one-off transactions in the UK. Sales of unitised with-profits bonds soared from pounds 27.1m to pounds 140.4m.
The company also won pounds 139m of business to provide annuities to a group pension scheme. This lifted total UK pensions single premiums from pounds 202.1m to pounds 335.8m. New UK annual premiums also edged ahead from pounds 73m to pounds 74.1m.
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.