Look who's talking
The business year in pictures
Sunday 21 December 1997
Mr Blair's courtship of business barons has been relentless. It was considered quite a coup for the Labour Party when Lord David Simon, formerly chairman of BP, was given the job of trade and industry minister.
In October Mr Blair received Microsoft chieftain Bill Gates, the world's richest man, to 10 Downing Street - so enraging all of Microsoft's rivals, which understood the PR coup that Mr Blair had handed the software guru.
- 1 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 2 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 3 Rocky Horror star Tim Curry 'suffers major stroke'
- 4 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
- 5 Exclusive: Woolwich killings suspect Michael Adebolajo was inspired by cleric banned from UK after urging followers to behead enemies of Islam
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.