Merrett settles for pounds 3.2m with Lloyd's
In return for the settlement, Lloyd's is to drop a disciplinary inquiry into the conduct of Mr Merrett and his agencies.
The deal, which includes a personal payment of pounds 1m from Mr Merrett to names on his syndicates, ends one of the most acrimonious disputes surrounding the losses at Lloyd's.
The Merrett names won a High Court judgment in October 1995 that implied he had acted dishonestly as their underwriter. The judgment prompted Lloyd's to start the disciplinary inquiry, which will now be terminated.
Lloyd's sources suggested that the combination of the pounds 1m personal payment and voluntary exile from the market was probably a harsher penalty than anything that would have come out of the formal disciplinary hearings. The pounds 1m will be paid to the Merrett Syndicate 418 Names' Association and distributed directly to the aggrieved names.
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
Police examine photographs of Charles Saatchi with hand on Nigella Lawson's throat
Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
- 1 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 2 Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
- 3 Anatomy of a waiter: Service staff spill the secrets of their trade
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
iJobs Money & Business
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
Up to £80,000 PA Plus Benefits: Legal & General: An exciting opportunity for a...
£20 - £22 per hour: Orgtel: Documentation Assistant - London - Banking - £20 -...
£550 - £650 per day: Orgtel: Test Manager, London, Investment Banking, £550-65...