Money Q&A: Don't panic, travellers: the Eurocheque is here to stay

Lloyds Bank has announced it is cancelling its Eurocheque service at the end of this year. Eurocheques have got me out of trouble many times and I consider the service indispensable. I could open an account with a German bank to get Eurocheques but I don't have the money. What can I do to ensure that I have Eurocheques in 2000 and after?

DB, Kent

For the uninitiated, Eurocheques are an alternative to the traveller's cheque. Like normal cheques, Eurocheques are linked directly to your main current account and can be backed by a guarantee card.

Eurocheques are accepted widely in Europe and beyond (for example in Israel and some north African countries). Indeed, they may be more easily recognised and accepted abroad than traveller's cheques. Some UK tourists report their traveller's cheques have occasionally been rejected because they carry the name of an unfamiliar bank. Eurocheques are useful in places where plastic cards have yet to catch on, such as rural France or remote Greek Islands. As in the UK, many small traders do not accept plastic because of the extra costs involved, especially the start-up costs.

The use of all cheques is steadily declining as plastic cards take over but cheques are likely to be around for some time yet.

The volumes of Eurocheques (and banks' willingness to issue them) might increase if more people were aware of their existence. The customer normally has to pay extra costs and commission on Eurocheques, but you also have to pay for traveller's cheques - and then decide how many you want before a trip and pay for them in advance.

Lloyds' decision to pull out of Eurocheques has not been followed by other banks. In 2000 you could consider opening an account with another UK bank to get your cheques.

Windfall tax

I am now a reluctant shareholder, having received windfall shares from two former building societies. Do I have to declare these to the Inland Revenue ? I don't get a tax return.

WF, Dorset.

Like interest on bank and building society accounts, share dividends have the equivalent of basic rate tax deducted at source. So you only have to declare these dividends if you are a higher-rate taxpayer (in which case you would probably get a tax return anyway) or if the gross value of these dividends (net dividend plus tax credit) pushes you into the higher tax band.

You must declare income if you owe tax on it. If you do need to declare this income you have six months from the end of the tax year to inform your tax inspector (until the 5 October 1999 for income arising between April 1998 and April 1999). If in doubt, contact your tax office anyway. If you don't know where your tax office is, speak to your payroll office (if you are employed). Otherwise phone the local office listed in the phone book.

Best investment

I have some money in a PEP but am aware that PEPs are coming to an end in April. I am trying to decide whether to put more of the money I have in my PEP or to start paying pounds 25 a month into a 10-year tax-exempt savings plan with a friendly society. Do you have any advice ?

AO, Kent

All assets held in PEPs on 5 April will continue to benefit from tax- free income and growth, hence a frenzy to beat the deadline. However, investing money purely for tax reasons is a bad idea. Now could be precisely the wrong time to put a lump sum into a share-based PEP investment since share values are high at the moment. This could be a more favourable time to invest in corporate-bond PEPs. But don't rush a decision.

In any case, you say you don't have vast sums to invest. The new ISA (individual savings account) limits may be ample for your needs. You'll be able to invest pounds 7,000 in the first year, pounds 5,000 a year thereafter. ISAs replace PEPs on 6 April and will perform the same tax-sheltering functions as PEPs. If you really want to invest regular monthly savings rather than a lump sum, you will be able to do this in an ISA from April.

Plans from so-called friendly societies (and Liverpool Victoria friendly society has just been fined a record pounds 900,000 by the investment regulators) can give poor returns. They have a somewhat anomalous tax status but "tax exempt" is a great tag to sell to investors. However high charges on low premiums can soon gobble up any tax advantage. Long-term friendly society plans, like long term savings plans from life insurance companies, are inflexible. You can lose out badly if you want to stop paying premiums or cash in the policy early.

Write to the personal finance editor, Independent on Sunday, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DL, and include a phone number; or fax 0171-293 2096; or e-mail Do not enclose SAEs or any documents you wish to be returned. We cannot give personal replies, nor can we guarantee to answer letters. We accept no legal responsibility for advice given.

Arts and Entertainment
musicBand's first new record for 20 years has some tough acts to follow
peopleAt least it's for a worthwhile cause
A new app has been launched that enables people to have a cuddle from a stranger
voicesMaybe the new app will make it more normal to reach out to strangers
Liam Payne has attacked the media for reporting his tweet of support to Willie Robertson and the subsequent backlash from fans
peopleBut One Direction star insists he is not homophobic
Life and Style
healthFor Pure-O OCD sufferers this is a reality they live in
Life and Style
Sexual health charities have campaigned for the kits to be regulated
healthAmerican woman who did tells parents there is 'nothing to be afraid of'
ebooksAn unforgettable anthology of contemporary reportage
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs Money & Business

Trainee / Experienced Recruitment Consultants

£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250 ...

Trainee Recruitment Consultant - Soho

£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40000: SThree: As a Recruitment Consultant, y...

Trainee Recruitment Consultants - Banking & Finance

£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...

Quantitative Risk Manager

Up to £80000: Saxton Leigh: My client, a large commodities broker, is looking ...

Day In a Page

A roller-coaster tale from the 'voice of a generation'

Not That Kind of Girl:

A roller-coaster tale from 'voice of a generation' Lena Dunham
London is not bedlam or a cradle of vice. In fact it, as much as anywhere, deserves independence

London is not bedlam or a cradle of vice

In fact it, as much as anywhere, deserves independence
Vivienne Westwood 'didn’t want' relationship with Malcolm McLaren

Vivienne Westwood 'didn’t want' relationship with McLaren

Designer 'felt pressured' into going out with Sex Pistols manager
Jourdan Dunn: Model mother

Model mother

Jordan Dunn became one of the best-paid models in the world
Apple still coolest brand – despite U2 PR disaster

Apple still the coolest brand

Despite PR disaster of free U2 album
Scottish referendum: The Yes vote was the love that dared speak its name, but it was not to be

Despite the result, this is the end of the status quo

Boyd Tonkin on the fall-out from the Scottish referendum
Manolo Blahnik: The high priest of heels talks flats, Englishness, and why he loves Mary Beard

Manolo Blahnik: Flats, Englishness, and Mary Beard

The shoe designer who has been dubbed 'the patron saint of the stiletto'
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written

Scrambled eggs and LSD

Behind The Beatles' lyrics - thanks to Hunter Davis's original manuscript copies
'Normcore' fashion: Blending in is the new standing out in latest catwalk non-trend

'Normcore': Blending in is the new standing out

Just when fashion was in grave danger of running out of trends, it only went and invented the non-trend. Rebecca Gonsalves investigates
Dance’s new leading ladies fight back: How female vocalists are now writing their own hits

New leading ladies of dance fight back

How female vocalists are now writing their own hits
Mystery of the Ground Zero wedding photo

A shot in the dark

Mystery of the wedding photo from Ground Zero
His life, the universe and everything

His life, the universe and everything

New biography sheds light on comic genius of Douglas Adams
Save us from small screen superheroes

Save us from small screen superheroes

Shows like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D are little more than marketing tools
Reach for the skies

Reach for the skies

From pools to football pitches, rooftop living is looking up
These are the 12 best hotel spas in the UK

12 best hotel spas in the UK

Some hotels go all out on facilities; others stand out for the sheer quality of treatments