2,000 jobs at risk in new Blockbuster collapse
Wednesday 30 October 2013
About 2,000 workers at DVD rental chain Blockbuster UK could lose their jobs as the company collapsed for a second time this year after the new owners failed to revive the ailing business.
The private equity firm Gordon Brothers Europe said the company could not survive despite negotiations with landlords, new marketing, and attempts to launch a digital platform to rival Netflix and Lovefilm.
It explained in a statement: "The company tried to develop a new digital platform but was unable to broker a licensing deal with Blockbuster UK's parent company in the US." It said there had also been "poor trading performance across both rental and retail sales." Gordon Brothers rescued Blockbuster in January after it went bust with the loss of 2,000 jobs and closure of half its 528 stores. The remaining 264 stores will continue trading as administrators seek a buyer.
- 1 Stem cells that can kill cancer have been engineered by scientists
- 2 Ricky Gervais and Dame Judi Dench back campaign to stop Thailand dog meat trade
- 3 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
Stem cells that can kill cancer have been engineered by scientists
Ottawa shooting: 'Sergeant-at-arms shot suspect at point-blank range after diving around pillar'
Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
McKamey Manor: This 'extreme' haunted house is the stuff of nightmares
Jack Bruce dead: Cream bass player dies of liver disease aged 71
iJobs Money & Business
£60000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Compensation and Benefits Manager - Compensat...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum plus excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + bonus & benefits: Ashdown Group: IT Business Syste...
£50000 - £90000 per annum + benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Markit EDM (CA...