A golden performance for Sainsbury's sales
The grocer Sainsbury's struck "Paralympic gold" after its sponsorship of the event helped its sales sprint ahead, but rival Morrisons suffered its worst performance for around seven years.
Sainsbury's grew sales by 7.9 per cent over the four weeks to 30 September, according to the Kantar Worldpanel data.
Edward Garner, a director at Kantar, said Sainsbury's benefited from its high-profile sponsorship of – and advertising campaign around – the Paralympics. plus its Brand Match promotion and the ongoing relaunch of its own label range.
But Morrisons posted a calamitous 1.9 per cent fall in revenues, understood to be its first decline since 2005.
Tesco grew sales by 2.2 per cent and Asda's rose 4.2 per cent, while Aldi, Lidl and Waitrose also performed well.
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
iJobs Money & Business
£30 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pricing Analyst with experienc...
£24000 - £26000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£21000 - £24000 per annum: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged b...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, int...