AIG chief Edward Liddy to step down – without being paid
Friday 22 May 2009
Edward Liddy, the finance industry executive brought out of retirement by the US government to run the nationalised insurer AIG, is to quit as soon as a replacement can be found, foregoing the chance of being paid for his work.
After eight months at the centre of political rows and public opprobrium over the spiralling cost of the AIG bail-out, Mr Liddy said last night he wanted to go back into retirement.
His departure leaves the Obama administration with the headache of filling one of the toughest jobs in the government-controlled sector of the finance industry, or more accurately, two of the toughest jobs, since Mr Liddy recommended that AIG split the roles of chairman and chief executive.
The company's shares are still trading among outside investors who hold 20 per cent of AIG, but the government's rescue bid during the financial panic of last September has left it with the remaining 80 per cent. AIG was brought down by trillions of dollars of disastrous bets on credit derivatives, which it did not have the money to cover. Because it was a trading partner with almost all of Wall Street's biggest firms, it was deemed to important to let collapse.
"Ed Liddy answered the call of his country and the needs of AIG without reservation amid one of the darkest periods of the current financial crisis," AIG's lead director, Stephen Bollenbach, said. "He has led AIG effectively and courageously – and without compensation. We wish him well in his return to retirement. He deserves it."
AIG has needed repeated infusions of around $150bn (£95bn) of public money to stay afloat. It is trying to sell some of its more traditional insurance businesses to pay back these debts. Employees are working under close scrutiny by Congress, the media and the Obama administration and earlier this year there was outrage at the payment of $165m in bonuses to executives of the division responsible for the catastrophe at the firm. Mr Liddy was hauled before a Congressional panel to defend the bonuses, which he said were vital to retain staff working on the restructuring.
Last night, Mr Liddy said: "Our pace of success will depend on global economic conditions and financial markets. It is likely to take several years. AIG should have a leadership team committed to a similar time horizon."
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
- 1 Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
Pope Francis: ‘One in 50’ Catholic priests, bishops and cardinals is a paedophile
Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
Supermoon 2014 in pictures: The moon appeared bigger and brighter at the weekend
Saharan remains may be evidence of first race war, 13,000 years ago
Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action
iJobs Money & Business
£70000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Information Security Manager (ISO 27001, A...
£75000 - £85000 per annum + ex bens: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: Biztalk Te...
£60000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Trade Desk Specialist (FIX, Linux, Windows...
£35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst (Windows, Active Dire...