All pistons go: How Bentley gave new life to the Pyms Lane factory
The Pyms Lane factory was built to make Hurricane and Spitfire engines. Bentley, then owned by Rolls-Royce, moved in in 1946 and that year the Bentley Mark VI became the first to be built entirely at Crewe.
The Bentley T-Series was launched in 1965 after a redesign of the production line. For many, the saloon was the final nail in the coffin of the sporting image of Bentley, which famously won Le Mans six times from 1924 to 1930.
In 1998 Bentley was bought by Volkswagen and an overhaul of the Crewe site followed. A key part of this was the building of an academy, where around 60 per cent of staff get training in areas including IT and foreign languages.
David Cameron visited the factory.
- 1 Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Compliance Manager is require...
£22500 - £27000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: Since our inception in 1986, STh...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This extremely successful and well-established...
Competitive with monthly bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced FX...